Friday, June 14, 2013

Homemade Cayenne Pepper Macaroni and Cheese

Posted by Karan
Summer has finally begun!
I arrived in Maui a couple of days ago to my family's vacation home, only to be greeted with tropical showers and cloudy skies. Depressing, yes I know, considering people who go to Hawaii expect the hot sun and fresh breeze. But nonetheless, the weather is looking much better these days! It's extremely sunny now, the perfect weather for someone craving a tan (hint: me!)
After diving into the pool, I craved a simple snack that was quick and easy to prepare (I mean, who likes cooking up a feast after a relaxing swim? no one.) I decided to go with the homemade mac and cheese and spice it up a bit with a sprinkle of Cayenne pepper.
Only fifteen minutes to prep.
Quick and easy.
Perfect summer pool side snack.


Ingredients:
Pasta
Monterrey Jack cheese (shredded)
Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
Spinach leaf (mostly for decorative purposes)

Fill a pot of water half full and turn on to full heat. 
Wait for the water to start bubbling then add the pasta.
Occasionally stir the pasta so it doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the pot (common sense I know, but believe me I've done it before)
Test the pasta once in while to see if it's ready (done to your liking)
Pour the pasta noodles into the colander, then spoon noodles into a bowl
Sprinkle both kinds of shredded cheeses on top of your noodles
**optional: if you are the type of person who likes the cheese to be completely melted and stringy like me, place the bowl into the microwave for 30 seconds to give your dish the perfect temperature: extra steamy!
Tap the Cayenne pepper bottle into your palm first before sprinkling onto your pasta. (Pasta can easily be ruined of flavor if the cook adds too much spice by accident!!)
Sprinkle to your liking
Add the finishing touch of one spinach leaf to add a natural healthy decorative look:)


Sipping a Corona by the poolside with mac & cheese doesn't hurt, right?






2 comments: