Sunday, June 30, 2013

Paris

Posted by Ashley

The clouds, the grey sky, the rain, the disgruntled Parisians. Yep, I'm finally back. I flew in a few days ago from Barcelona (posts from our week there should be up in about a week or two) and was greeted by the yucky weather Paris has had almost all year. Despite some successful purchases on the first day, having walked in the cold and rain, I was already beginning to feel the frustration that many Parisians showed. Finally the sun showed itself yesterday and I jumped at the chance to go down to Paris with my mom.

When the sun's out, Paris is a whole new city. The people are nicer, the streets are more crowded, the food tastes better, and all worries leave you. Refreshed with the weather, we spent the day walking around, starting with the Cathédrale Notre Dame of course.


Then we walked around L'île Saint-Louis, where we stopped for gelato at the infamous Amorino. I tried Cioccolato Amorino, Speculoos, and Caramello al Burro Salato, shaped nicely into a flower in a cone.


We continued our little stroll and passed by the gay pride parade.


Then we walked along the Seine, passing all the bouquinistes, where I bought the book Breakfast at Tiffany's translated into French.



We took a little break in the Jardin du Luxembourg, where I used to play all the time when I was little.



Feeling hungry we stopped at a delicious little crêperie on rue de la Gaîté, where I ordered a galette sarrasin with chèvre, ham, emmental, and tomatoes. And of course I had to have a dessert crêpe. I got the classic butter and sugar.



We finished eating just in time to walk down a little further to the Comédie Italienne theatre to watch a play. It was the first time I'd ever seen the comédie italienne and I loved it. It was hilarious and the actors put all their heart into it. I definitely recommend going if you speak French.



All in all it was a lovely typically French day in Paris and I enjoyed every second of it.

And the typical French fun didn't stop there! We had a lovely breakfast on the terrace this morning. Croissants, pains au chocolat, brioches, apricots, berries, tea, freshly squeezed orange juice, œuf à la coque, and baquette galore! 


Needless to say, I was very satisfied, and with the sun out again, I spent the rest of the day tanning and relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment